Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tech Tool(s) 'O' the Week: Drawing Tools

I have been looking for a good web-based drawing tool for the 4th grade students to use to create a cityscape instead of using MS Paint or PowerPoint's drawing tools to practice our CTRL-C and CTRL-V keyboard shortcuts (windows on buildings can be tedious until you learn about Shift+click for multiple selections).  I came across a blog post that showcases 11 different free online drawing tools and decided to pick a few of my faves from them.

1.  Sketchpad
Lots of options, all kinds of ways to create, print, and save without the need of a username or password. very cool for just free-drawing and using all of the options to make something cool.
2.  ArtPad
Not a lot of tools, but having the ability to replay your steps to create a movie of you making a drawing is really neat.
3.  Odosketch
Again, not a lot of tools, but what it does is use charcoal and watercolor brushes well to give your artwork that nice sumi-e effect.
4.  WebSketch
Great introduction to vector art, but the controls are a little weird and I can't quite figure out where the drawing goes when you save it.  The app does, however, solve the problem with making vector art understandable.
5.  Sketchcast
People in my profession have to be raving about this!  I haven't played with it nearly enough, but what I have done I likey a lot!  Record your voice and a drawing at the same time?  Sign me up!

That's just five drawing tools, there are more in the Google Chrome web store and apps for your IPads and smartphones as well.  None of these use copy and paste functions or have easy to access and control shape-making tools, which is what I need for the project!  I'll keep looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment